Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Update on RT-N12B1 router - still recommended

We have had this router for about a month now and so far I am very happy with it. Original .38 firmware was relatively stable but it rebooted for some reason about every 3 to 5 days. I have not noticed the reboots and only knew about them from the router logs. I upgraded firmware to the 2.1.1.46 and will report on stability later in the month.
Other than the unnoticed reboots, the router is great. I handles all the traffic splendidly without a hitch. There are no issues with VPN or tunneling or anything else for that matter. Router can handle two Roku boxes streaming at the same time - one locally and one from Hulu. There is really nothing bad I can say about this router and would recommend it to anyone.

Update

After 11+ days there is no reboots with the firmware version 2.1.1.1.46. So far this update working out nicely. Before reboot write down router settings and after reset the router to default settings and restore the settings you have written down. Without that I had trouble reconnecting with my wireless devices.

Update #2

After 12 days router finally rebooted. I think from now on I will reboot it after 10 or so days if I remember.

Update #3

It appears that the router does not reboot as I previously thought. The uptime in the interface changes to indicate the router is rebooted but the system log has no indication of reboot. That would explain why I have not observed service disruption upon reboot. I will try to contact support and see what they say.

No comments: